Bodybuilders often use classics, and all sorts of innovations are perceived with difficulty. Such a conservative approach does not give proper growth and progress. To achieve this, you need to make changes to the training, use new chips. One option is to change the position and angle. An example is the French bench press, which will be discussed.
French Press Exercise Muscle Atlas
The strength of the French press is directed at the triceps. The standing and sitting options, unlike the lying ones, provide a much greater amplitude of movement, which leads to severe stretching of the triceps, stimulating their growth.
The following muscles include the ensemble of muscle training:
- 3 triceps heads are targeted: long, medial and lateral);
- the stabilizing function lies on the flexors of the wrists, the large pectoral and anterior delta;
- There are no synergists in the French press.
The picture version gives an idea of a full muscle atlas:
What Are The Benefits Of French Press Workout?
They are as follows:
- develops a triceps mass and strength;
- one hand push up isolation and at the same time affects all heads (to a greater extent on a long one);
- provides, in comparison with classical training, better stimulation and a greater range of motion;
- helps to increase performance when performing bench presses from the chest and lying down;
- women with weights, eliminating sagging;
- stabilizes the elbow and shoulder joints;
- eliminates asymmetry in the development of triceps;
- more details triceps.
All about the right technique
Insulation training French bench press is a difficult one, so consideration of the technique is necessary.
- A straight or curved bar is taken with a narrow grip, lifted above the head until the arms are fully extended.
- The elbows are slightly inward, the legs are shoulder-width apart.
This is the starting position.
- Inhale and begin to bend your elbows, holding the latter closer to the head.
- Lower the projectile for yourself in an arc until the elbows assume a position perpendicular to the floor and the forearms touch the biceps.
- Return the bar to the starting position using triceps force.
- Take a breath and keep repeating.
The picture option below will help to understand the technique:
Variations of the French press (seated tricep press, overhead barbell extension)
There are many options, but more often they use the following:
- with a curved bar;
- overhead dumbbell extension;
- incline bench barbell extension;
- extensions from the bottom block in the cable machine.
Dumbbell French Press Tips
Knowing the nuances of the French press, you can make the most out of it:
- lower the bar as slowly as possible;
- the elbows are not bent to the sides;
- only the forearms move – no cheating;
- work with adequate weight;
- look forward;
- the number of recommended sets is 3-4, repetitions – 8-10.
The theory is over, and the time to move on to practice.
What to choose: barbell or dumbbells
Which of the two versions of the French press is more promising in terms of benefits for triceps? Both weights have similar kinematics of movement, and, if so, in this regard there is no leader among them.
But, dumbbells behind the head allow you to use a large load due to a more comfortable take and a short (albeit slightly) leverage. So, in this version of the French bench press, triceps is also loaded more heavily. In addition, the load on the joints is reduced. In the variation with the barbell, the wrists are “slammed” back due to the fact that the projectile is not always convenient to hold.
Based on the foregoing, the option of the French bench press with a dumbbell is more preferable.
Compare Standing And Lying Tricep Press
Since the long head makes a greater contribution to the mass of the triceps, it is important to understand how to load it better. Hands, during the French bench press, are above the head, triceps are stretched as much as possible, since the long head is attached to the shoulder blade and is not tied to the humerus. Greater stretching leads to a strong contraction, i.e. enhanced triceps performance. The French bench press stretches the triceps looser. The emphasis in it is shifted towards the lateral head, so it will give hands less volume.
It has been proven by studies that the following training regimen is the most productive for triceps training: a couple of boat exercise with an emphasis on the long head, after which one on the lateral and medial.